I suggest you ...

Geotagging!

1) Automatically from current location (If GPS available in hardware)

2) Manually choose location from map.

3) Import from GPX/KML file.

550 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Morten ThomassenMorten Thomassen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    David OhDavid Oh shared a merged idea: Geotag incoming photos from Eye Fi card with iPad's gps location  ·   · 
    Rob van HoutRob van Hout shared a merged idea: Add support for GPX geotagging files  ·   · 
    planned  ·  Chris MorseAdminChris Morse (√C², Photosmith for iPad) responded  · 

This is definitely one of the features we had in mind when we first started this app. We made sure we designed in a place for this to go in the new 2.0 UI and now that it is nearing completion we’re eager to start working on this soon afterwards.

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • YannickYannick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be very usefull to be able to stat geotagging during trip without PC and LR.
        From map and from GPX at least.
        I use an BadElf GPS and already be able to get the gpx log from this GPS directely to the iPAD thanks to bluetooth connexion.

• Terry StraehleyTerry Straehley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While it is easy to geotag with Lightroom 4+, I think anything that Photosmith will do ahead of time is a good idea. I use GeoTagr on my iPhone, which will transmit a .gpx to its app on my iPad. If you can pull the .gpx from that it would be great.

• IanIan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really looking forward to this for my aerial photography business. How soon?

• JoergJoerg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this idea :-) Please implement next to the above mentioned point 1-2 the external GPX file feature. Another benefit of using my UDMA2 is that I can transfer the GPX files from my GPS device to the HDD at my UDMA2 and if Photosmith would support the UDMA2 or being able to connect to an FTP server instead of just being one, this would be another cool way that enriches may workflow and would close the gap I curretnly have. Please keep in mind that aligning the time stamp, zone and offset of photos is something that needs to be done very often to match the GPS location on the GPS tracks. My preferred way is to take a photo of my GPS device screen that shows the time and when reading the EXIF and comparing it to the GPS time at the image I'm getting exactly the time difference.

• Marc PMarc P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Steven : For sure LR 4 gets now the map module but to me the aim of Photosmith is to let me do some pre-work in the field before bringing back my images to home in LR. Being able to tag them on the way is still useful to me

• Steven GrimmSteven Grimm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lightroom 4's built-in geotagging support reduces the need for Photosmith to do anything here; LR4 can load a GPX tracklog file and automatically geotag all the photos covered by the log. So this seems like it's now a feature solely to benefit users of LR3 or earlier.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My vote is for some way to import a GPX file whilst on the road... Eg Many GPS Trackers do bluetooth syncing.

• Maxime GousseMaxime Gousse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like Photosmith to add some GPS support. However, I would like the option to add "current location" as the GPS coordinates.

Another possibility would be integration with the "gps4cam" app, or for you guys to make a similar app for the iPhone. I use that app in a pinch when I don't have my GPS logger with me. If you're not familiar with it, it runs in the background on the iPhone and records location periodically. Then when you're done with a trip, it displays one or more QR-style codes (big ones) which you photograph with the same camera whose images you want to geotag. The app comes with desktop software and a web service, either of which can be used to autodetect the QR codes in your photo set and automatically update the metadata of all the photos covered by the track log. Since you take the picture of the code with the same camera you took the geotaggable photos with, it autodetects any necessary time adjustments.

It is usable with Photosmith right now, but you have to be pretty careful about the order of operations to avoid wiping out any metadata.

If there's some way this can work with an external GPS logger, that's ideal. Keeping the iPad's GPS on all the time while out in the field drains the battery too quickly, whereas a tiny pocket GPS unit lasts all day on a single charge. I personally use a Wintec G-Rays 2+.

I'd be fine with geotagging happening as part of the Lightroom import if it's not possible to read data from an external GPS logger on the iPad. Right now, pre-Photosmith, I geotag photos as part of my ingestion process, just before I import them into Lightroom.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use this feature a lot on my mac and I will greatly appreciate to do this with photosmith.

Here the three way I geotag my images :

1) manually: when I forgot to start my gps logger, I use a google map interface to select the location to one photo or a group of selected photos
        2) automatic with a gpx file: Sometimes, I use motionX GPS to track my photo trip and then send the gpx file by mail. I would like to get it in photo smith via a "open with..." option in mail for any gpx attachment and then photo smith will automatically geotag my photo by using the corresponding date from the photo exif and the gpx tracks
        3) manual with gpx waypoints : tracking software like MotionX GPS allow to record GPS named waypoints in gpx files that could be found in the generated GPX file. I use this to easily geotagged location where I'm very often, like home. I load the "home.gpx" file, select the photos I've taken at home and click the "home" waypoints to geotagged all my photo to my home location.

thanks for providing this great software and continue the great work ! ( ;

• Marc PMarc P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Geotagging is clearly one of the big step with metadata that I do on the field and it would be clearly a great features. There is obviously a need to propose a googlemaps like ui to select it including current location usage. Personally my picture are already geotagged at recording time using a gps wired to the camera. Therefore, I would be even more interrested by the second step of geotagging (still of course the first step is needed with the ability to move the position on the map to correct it sometimes:-) to use coordinates to automatically fill in the location IPTC fields as well as add keyword for country code, name, region, city etc ..
        In my workflow, I'm currently using excellent freeware Geosetter to do so ( see screenshot http://www.geosetter.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/geosetter_edit_data_en.jpg). It provides an option to fill in iptc location field as well as an option ti create keyword for all of these field (except country code). It uses some free web services such as http://api.geonames.org or allow usage of other services could lead to some fee).

• Morten ThomassenMorten Thomassen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have thousands of DNGs without geotags in my Lightroom library, and I would like to tag (some of) them manually for future reference.

I would love to have the option to follow this workflow:

1) Sync library as JPG to Photosmith
        2) Geotag manually on some googlemaps-alike interface
        3) Sync tags back to Lightroom
        4) Delete (most) files from Photosmith

• Mike WrenMike Wren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely! My current workflow is to load a gpx or kml file into Houdageo (http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/). I use MotionX GPS on my iPhone to generate this file.

Maybe an in-app purchase would be a good way for you guys to monitize this feature (Houdageo gets $30) while providing power users a way to remove a few steps from their Mac-based image processing workflow.

Feedback and Knowledge Base