I suggest you ...

Allow Delete of Photos Synced From Lightroom

Based on the restirictions imposed by Apple, implement some kind of workaround to mark photos for deletion and then manually erase them from the photo app in an efficient way (something like moving them in a special album if this is supported or renaimng them so that they are shown at the beginning or end of the all foto list in the photo app).

594 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Claudio EmmrichClaudio Emmrich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Be able to delete photos in the app  ·   · 
    A. ClausA. Claus shared a merged idea: Delete photos with iPad collection (workaround)  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Add an internal storage mode (or change the current storage) to avoid Photos.app and Camera Roll  ·   · 

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike WrenAdminMike Wren (User Advocate & Workflow Geek, Photosmith for iPad) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Photo VI: Yes, this is precisely why Develop changes in Lightroom don't (currently) get propagated back to Photosmith/iPad. This will change once we implement the next major version of Photosmith, which will primarily use our own storage space on iPad for photos.

@emiliano: We're putting 100% of our effort towards moving away from storing photos in Camera Roll for the reasons you mentioned, and *many* more, over the coming weeks. Keep an eye on our blog for status updates throughout the process.

• emilianoemiliano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should writevery big at the beginning of the description:
        "ALL THE IMAGES IMPORTED AD SYNCED BY PHOTOSMITH WILL APPEAR ON YOU CAMERA ROLL AND ON YOUR PHOTO STREAM".

You will see a substantial decrease of sold apps, but you will feel more honest.

• PezPez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without delete blockage can you please implement a work around for deleting them, even if (as suggested) it's put them in an album within the photos app or looking at moving them "internally" so you can delete them from Photos?

• Foto VIFoto VI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this photos app problem also the reason,
        why images that are changed in LR,
        won't be updated in photosmith after sync?

• Ken ZukKen Zuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this still an open conversation? I am leaning on the fence, to buy or not buy Photosmith..the ability to just use the iPad in the field would be great, but only if I can delete unwanted photos easily.

Can Photosmith do something like Filterstorm Pro? My understanding is that they allow a catalog to store its own originals...so you can delete "Last Import" in the Photos app without it affecting the Filterstorm files.

• Alex CalaraAlex Calara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I purchased Photosmith and immediately stopped using it (literally after one use) because I discovered how it stored photos in the Camera Roll. I guess I'd been spoiled by so many great apps like Camera+ and Luminance, where there's an in-app storage, and it's up to me to pollute the device Camera Roll or Photostream or bypass and send to Flickr or 500px.

What I detest about this arrangement is I have to manually toggle the PhotoStream importer on my Mac, before it gets hold of the newest images coming in from my two iOS devices, and manually remove the images I pushed out of Lightroom before they get reimported.

I guess I made the mistake of thinking "It's been several years since iPads came out, surely someone has made Aperture/Lightroom integration a breeze and easy portfolio honing will have been around for ages. Time to buy an iPad!"

I keep rooting for you guys. I even held off on your sale, so you could put a few more pennies towards making this as amazing as everyone had hoped.

• Rob EllmyerRob Ellmyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not create a (free) companion app, like a simple photo manager that CAN communicate with photosmith 100%. This may alleviate a lot of sync issues. You could send the photos from camera roll to the new "photosmith photo manager" (or whatever you'd call it ) and maintain some type of folder structure. You'd also be able to import photos from your pc or mac to the new companion app using itunes and the photos will never have to touch you're camera roll. Something like the photo manager pro app that also works with photosmith would be awesome.Maybe then you could delete photos also.

This was also posted as a new idea.

• John C.John C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this happen! My cameral roll (photostream) is now BLOATED with several gigs of Lightroom photos. I'm so disappointed!!

• Kevin PettittKevin Pettitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Speaking of ingestion, it would be ideal to be able to keep the "current" shoots pictures together in one collection while the shoot progresses, which either means we need to be able to automatically add incoming photos to the currently open collection (as Shuttersnitch does) or be able to set the purge of the "Recent Imports" collection to manual so it doesn't auto clear in the middle of a long shoot because you disconnected/reconnected the eyefi.

• Norman WehrleNorman Wehrle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you ingest images to your internal storage, please provide an option to choose between
        [ ] just the jpeg Files
        [ ] just the RAW Files
        [ ] both: RAW and JPG

• YL.YL. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree - the photo previews loaded from LR have to go into Photosmith's sandbox. The way it works now is practically useless, especially if you are using Photostream. To distinct these from photos uploaded directly to iPad they can add one more system collection (in addition to recent import, rejected, selected...) - something like "LR Previews". Unfrtunatelly i ran out of voices, but would give all of them for this suggestion if saw it first.

By the way there is another idea for essentially the same issue from last year in which I commented much more extensively. If you search the idea list for shuttersnitch you'll find it has 19 votes. Hopefully this idea system has a way to merge ideas and total up all the votes.

Thanks!

This may be one reason I keep using the Shuttersnitch app, which has done this since day one. You figured out the Eye-Fi trick in v2 which is awesome. Keep it up!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is maybe not top,
        but very high priority.

I can see in your blog comments,
        that you already plan to
        change ways as suggested here.

• Wieger WijniaWieger Wijnia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally i feel they should at least seperate preview photos (the jpeg photos generated if u publish from lightroom to the ipad ) from your real photos.
        I understand for real photo import by the camera connection kit u are limited and need the extra copy pass to make it work.

But to me it makes absolutely no sense to store the generated preview files made by the photosmith plugin in the ipad photo app .

It makes a enormous mess of the ipad photo app, as u will get real files and previews files all in the same location and there is no easy way to seperate them. Also it severely limits the two way synchronisation as this way u have to manual clear the cache as photosmith cannot clear it automatically.

• Ruud WolfRuud Wolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! Also, when you're shooting raw, and spend a holiday week somewhere the gigabytes fill up quickly and the backup to iCloud stops because there's not enough storage room.

I made a very, very stupid mistake because I thought that the photo's in Photosmith were separate from the Photo Folders on iPad. I ran a testcase, deleted photo's from Photos and checked in Photosmith - they were still there.

I than deleted all the photos in Photos, to find out later they were also gone in Photosmith, after restart .....

• GuillaumeGuillaume commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'm using Photo Manager PRO that run with this phylosophie.

Problem is that you need a step to import form camera roll to the "internal storage". at this moment you have to copy, this duplicate for an instant moment. storage capacity of ipad is impacted, you need to have a lot of free space on your ipad to do that.

Second Problem: After importation in the "internal storage" (Application private directory), you have to delete photos on the ipad camera roll. This step is very... very....boring and not user firendly. You have to select one by one all photos you have to delete. There is no "select all" option. Alternative: delete photo from your personnal computer (heresy in terms of mobility) but you have to delete photos directory by directory.....

• Marc PMarc P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to recall that one main interrest of the app + usb card reader is to be able to load images while on a trip. Therefore having to load images first in LR is not useful for this use case.
        Personnaly while on a trip, I was deleting pictures from Apple apps first (I was doing so before V1.1 photosmith that allow to resync more easily now)

• Wieger WijniaWieger Wijnia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After reading the support and blogs it seems this problem is related to the apple camera connection kit and the limit apple has put on usb import. So maybe it is possible to first import the photo's in lightroom and then sync it to photosmith granted this will be done with wifi and will not be a very fast solution. But then u can store the photos in an alternate location as discussed in http://support.photosmithapp.com/forums/111001-ideas-and-suggestions/suggestions/1768243-bypass-the-photo-app-from-apple-altogether-like-sh. So this way we will have a full sync and photosmith will be able to delete the photos on the ipad.

I would rather have this option then import the photos fast and then have an ipad filled with photos which i have to manually delete, and when u use the lightroom 2 way sync, u cannot use the apple cammera connection kit anyways.

Or am i missing something ?

• Chris MorseAdminChris Morse (√C², Photosmith for iPad) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Starting in iOS 5.0 and Photosmith 1.1 real filenames are preserved and synced all the way through to Lightroom. Note: those using Advanced Sync who have file renaming options set will probably still experience problems with duplicate photos. We still try to match based on other fields but certain settings during import cause the filesize to change in which case we will always treat it as a new image.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base